Supervisor: Supervisor, Gardens and Horticulture
General Responsibilities: Work independently or with other members of Grounds department to perform routine grounds maintenance, general labor operations, and horticultural care for Hagley's historic site. Learn and be able to identify and provide basic care of flower and vegetable gardens, as well as care for other shrubs, perennials, and planters. Assist with Special Events activities (e.g. parking direction, setting up tables and chairs and take-down). Duties performed under Supervisor, Gardens and Horticulture or designated crew supervisor. Occasional weekend and evening hours as necessary.
• Provide general maintenance of grounds and basic care of landscaped areas including: mowing lawn; trimming hedges; watering lawns, trees, flowers, and potted plants; rake, weed, and edge lawns; grade and prepare base for laying sod and seed; prune shrubs, perennials, and flowers. Under supervision of licensed staff, may apply pesticides and herbicides. May be assigned to concentrate work activities in specific area of property.
• Assist with general clean-up operations including: snow removal; remove leaves, sticks, and other debris from grounds; clear sidewalks, parking lots, gutters, and catch basins.
• Operate small and large mechanical equipment used for grounds maintenance/general labor operations including: push and riding mowers, tillers, string trimmers, and blowers.
• Assist with Special Events activities including: set-up and take-down, parking, transporting equipment, clean-up, etc.
• Perform general labor tasks of moderate to heavy nature as assigned by supervisor.
• Responsible for maintaining work area and performing job duties in a manner which complies with federal, state, and Hagley safety policies.
• Other duties as assigned by Supervisor, Gardens and Horticulture or Director, Preservation, Buildings and Grounds.
Good working knowledge of hand tools, powered equipment, materials and methods used in grounds maintenance, particularly of historic sites and horticultural care gained through prior related work experience. Must be able to sustain moderate to heavy physical exertion with full range of body motion for extended periods of time, including lifting up to 50 lbs. Ability to work in all weather conditions. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Valid driver's license. Ability to obtain Delaware commercial pesticide applicator's license. Willingness to work weekends or evenings for Special Events, or emergency clean-up operations. Formal training in horticulture and/or turf maintenance preferred.
Email resumes/cover letter to email@example.com