Assist Buildings Maintenance Supervisor with repair, maintenance, and installation of air conditioning (window units) and domestic heating units, hot water heaters, water pumps, drive belts, toilets, drains, piping, and other physical plant equipment. Perform general maintenance work including install and remove partitions, hang pictures and shelves, etc. Daily monitoring of a/c and heating units. Assist with general Buildings Maintenance activities including removal of snow and ice. Provide supervision of Buildings Maintenance staff and coordinate departmental activities in absence of Supervisor, Buildings Maintenance Department.
- Work with Supervisor of the Buildings Maintenance Department and to repair, maintain, and install all physical plant equipment including air conditioning units, heating and boiler units, water heaters, water pumps, etc.
- Work independently and train other maintenance mechanics.
- Assist with preventative maintenance of pumps, motors, fans, piping, valves, etc.
- Monitor air conditioning units daily and adjust pneumatic controls when necessary.
- Monitor heating units daily and repair heating equipment including drive belts, condensers, motors, pumps.
- Perform plumbing repairs on toilets, drains, piping, hot water heaters, and condensers.
- Preventative maintenance of pumps, motors, fans, pipes, valves, etc.
- Perform heavy manual labor associated with repair, maintenance, and installation of physical plant including dig trenches; lay pipe; install filters; scrape, clean, and paint air conditioning units.
- Records and reports damaged, worn, or broken parts, identifies the causes of unexpected breakdowns of machines, repairs broken machines quickly and efficiently.
- Perform general maintenance work including install fences; install and remove partitions, hang shelves and pictures, assemble shelving units or office furniture.
- Pick up and deliver parts and building materials. Monitor buildings maintenance supplies to maintain sufficient stock of maintenance tools and materials.
- Assist with major Buildings Maintenance projects such as cleaning building gutters on a regular basis, removing snow and ice from work areas or exhibit buildings.
- Prepares reports documenting work performed.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Director, Preservation, Buildings and Grounds and the Supervisor, Buildings Maintenance Department.
- Must be willing to work overtime, overtime for emergencies, and special events on off hours.
- Will serve in the weekend on call rotation, approximately once a month
Extensive experience (minimum 5 years as Mechanic II) in general/mechanical maintenance trade including extensive experience with air conditioning, heating, plumbing, and ventilation systems. Formal HVAC training preferred. Must be able to understand and follow oral/written instructions, manufacturers' blueprints and manuals.
Excellent physical condition, stamina, dexterity and coordination necessary to perform moderate to heavy manual labor for prolonged periods of time under varying weather conditions. Must possess valid driver's license and be available to work occasional weekend or evening. Ability to supervise staff and coordinate diverse departmental assignments