Supervisor: Curator, Collections and Exhibitions
Duration: Part-time – 20 hours per week
Major Responsibilities: Assist Museum Curatorial staff with daily duties such as filing, processing museum collections, and moving objects as well as special projects including exhibition installation and de-installation. Collections Assistant will assist different staff members each day so there will be a lot of variety.
1. Assist curatorial staff with collections records filing.
2. Assist curatorial staff with processing collections which could include tagging, cataloging, physically numbering and data-entry into the Vernon collection management database.
3. Assist curatorial staff with photography of collection objects including editing, sizing, creating derivative images and attaching jpeg images to each object record in the Vernon database.
4. Assist curatorial staff with collections storage and rehousing projects.
5. Assist curatorial staff by moving collections to the conservation lab and then returning them following conservation treatments. This also includes assisting with moving collections in other areas.
6. Assist curatorial staff with inventory projects.
7. Assist curatorial staff with installation and de-installation of exhibits
8. Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, history, or related field desired. Hands-on experience working in museum collections desired.
Stamina and ability to lift and move both light and heavy (40 lbs. or more) artifacts and climb ladders; attention to detail necessary; ability to work independently; and accurate typing and computer skills. Familiarity with Microsoft word, excel, outlook desired. Familiarity with museum collection databases a plus. Experience with digital photography and software such as Adobe Lightroom required. Valid driver’s license and availability of vehicle necessary to perform duties as outlined above.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org