Hagley Museum is seeking part-time guides to interpret and facilitate activities related to Hagley’s history, buildings, artifacts, and engineering innovations. Through intensive initial training plus attendance at periodic refresher trainings and workshops, successful candidates will be able to provide an exceptional guest experience to all audiences, especially grade K-12 school groups.
• Work as tour and program guide as scheduled to provide thematic and hands-on programming to school groups grades K-12, including detailed information concerning Hagley's history, exhibits, artifacts, historic workers’ community, etc., as derived from ongoing interpretive training.
• Work as family program guide as scheduled to facilitate hands-on history, science, and/or engineering programming to casual visitors throughout the year.
• Monitor conditions of visitor areas to ensure visitor safety and report potential safety problems to appropriate management personnel.
• Participate in mandatory periodic training sessions and workshops to ensure effective interpretation and facilitation of the various programs
• Assist with special events and projects involving Department of Audience Engagement and other Hagley departments, working with full-time, part-time, and volunteer staff as appropriate.
Requirements: Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills including ability to handle groups of visitors efficiently and politely; to speak clearly and pleasantly, and to convey information accurately and confidently. Ability to work both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions. High school degree required plus additional study/experience related to history, technology, or teaching preferred. Good physical condition required to stand and/or walk for extensive periods of time. Ability to work a flexible schedule to incorporate varying assignments during weekdays and weekends. Availability to work at least once a week, one weekend a month and occasional evenings.
Opportunities for Specialization: There are some opportunities for Guides to assume positions of responsibility relating to interpretation, outreach, visitor services and museum operations. These jobs include Visitor Services Assistant; School Program Deputy; Tour Captain; Roll Mill, Machine Shop and Steam Engine Operator; and Community Outreach Guide.
Training Programs: Intensive initial training, ongoing workshops, trips, and readings.
Informational Open Houses: Drop-in open houses will be held on Monday, January 27 and Wednesday, January 29, 2020 from 1:30-3:30pm at the Hagley Visitor Center, 200 Hagley Creek Road. Learn more about the position and apply on-site. Bring a resume.