Responsible for accessioning museum objects including du Pont family related materials such as decorative arts, furnishings, artwork and clothing, U.S. patent models, and DuPont Company materials including gunpowder related items and polymers such as nylon.
The position is responsible for maintaining the museum catalog, accessions book and object files; processing all donations, in-house transfers, deaccessions, and loans (domestic and international); maintains the Vernon collections management database, online collections browser and department server; and provides research access to the collection. Exempt Position
• Process museum acquisitions through deed of gift paperwork, donor appraisal coordination, assigning accession numbers and descriptive cataloging into the Vernon database. Process and prepare documentation for deaccessions and transfers to/from museum collections. Prepare annual accessions, deaccessions and transfers reports. Submit monthly gift reports to Philanthropy Department for donor records.
• Manage, maintain and continually upgrade the Vernon collections management database and online collections browser as well as coordinate operation/maintenance of networked curatorial department’s computer system. Create and maintain procedures for data entry. Train users on Vernon collections management system (CMS).
• Maintain and update Vernon Browser, the online museum database. Prepare Vernon collections data for on-line access and put object records online.
• Standardize CMS data in existing records and continue the data entry process. Oversee style guide for entry of data into Vernon CMS.
• Manage and maintain the handwritten collections logbook, all individual collections acquisitions object files and collections research files.
• Process loans (domestic and international), by providing loan forms, insurance, handling, packaging, and arranging for appropriate transport and all international customs forms. Prepare annual loan report. Keep track of all loans.
• Provide exhibit and other project assistance to curator when requested.
• Provide collections information to researchers and Hagley staff via internet, phone, letter and on-site usage of Vernon database. Schedule researcher visits. Manage all digital requests for images of artifacts.
• Create and manage all rights and reproductions paperwork and details.
• Attend professional meetings and keep abreast of current practices in the field.
• Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in museum studies, history, or related field required; At least three years’ full-time experience in museum registration and museum collections management databases required. Appropriate master's degree highly desirable. Requires stamina and ability to lift and move artifacts, legible handwriting, accurate typing, attention to detail, and excellent organizational skills. Familiarity with the Vernon systems collection management database desirable. Experience with international loans, on-line collections access and overseeing a server highly desired. Valid driver's license and availability of vehicle necessary to perform duties as outlined above.