Join the highly motivated Museum Collections Team at Hagley Museum and Library and become a part of an organization that inspires all people to be innovative in their own lives through investigation and exploration of our historical collections, original DuPont powder yards, and online resources. The Registrar/Database Manager plays a meaningful role in the documenting of, and access to, the museum’s nearly 70,000-piece permanent collection.
Working under the supervision of the Curator of Collections, the Registrar/Database Manager oversees accessioning and processing of new acquisitions, cataloging, documentation, deaccessioning, outgoing and incoming loan agreements/renewals (domestic and international), condition reporting, coordination of packing and shipping, and courier arrangements. This position is also responsible for the maintenance of the museum’s collections management system, Vernon, and the department’s server.
• Process museum acquisitions through deed of gift paperwork, donor appraisal coordination, assigning of accession numbers, and descriptive cataloging. Process and prepare documentation for deaccessions and transfers to/from museum collections.
• Manage physical object files and collections research files.
• Manage, maintain, and continually upgrade the Vernon collections management database and online collections browser (Vernon Browser); periodically train users to effectively use Vernon. Create and maintain data entry standards.
• Oversee incoming and outgoing loans (domestic and international), including loan agreements, insurance, packing, shipping, and renewals. Prepare an annual loan report.
• Provide collections research access to Hagley staff and outside researchers.
• Oversee rights and reproductions.
• Oversee occasional interns, volunteers, and part-time staff.
• Provide exhibition and other project assistance as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Required Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, history, or related field required. At least two years’ full-time experience in museum registration and museum collections management databases required.
• Master’s degree in appropriate field highly desired.
• Familiarity with the Vernon Systems collections management database, online collections, and overseeing a server is highly desirable.
• Requires ability to lift and move artifacts up to 50 lbs. without assistance, legible handwriting, accurate typing, and excellent organizational skills.
Salary Range - $48,000 - $52,000