Hagley Museum and Library is a 235-acre property with exhibitions, programs, tours, and other exciting guest programs that “inspire people to ne innovative in their own lives.” Hagley’s fleet of shuttles are an important way to connect all of the one-of-a-kind guest experiences spread out across the historic site.
An essential part of the Visitor Services team, the Driver will operate museum shuttles, providing safe, reliable transportation for guests throughout Hagley’s property while maintaining a pleasant and professional attitude, supporting guests and coworkers as needed. The Driver ensures their assigned shuttle is clean and in proper working condition.
Occasional early morning and evening driving for groups and special events may be required. Driver must conform to Delaware CDL Class B Safety Regulations. This position involves working and operating shuttles in various weather conditions and temperatures. The position deals extensively with visitors as well as staff who interact with drivers in varying roles. A guest service mindset is essential in this role. This is a non-exempt, part-time position; hours will vary throughout the year.
• Operate museum shuttles on a regular route and schedule in consultation with the Lead Shuttle Driver or Daily Supervisor, as well as group tours in consultation with tour deputy or guide captain.
• Operate museum shuttles in an effective, efficient, and safe manner and ensure that all issues or malfunctions are reported promptly for repair.
• Ensure the safety of all shuttle passengers; including the safe loading and unloading of shuttles.
• Report any safety problems or unauthorized personnel on the property to the Daily Supervisor.
• Respond to and help resolve visitors concerns promptly and in a professional manner, notifying the Manager, Visitor Services Team and Lead Shuttle Driver of any issues.
• Maintain a clean shuttle and assist with minor cleaning and washing of shuttles. Prior to starting the shuttle, ensure all equipment is presentable, sweep the shuttle and clean any interior windows as necessary. Check for any damage internally or externally. Report any issues to the supervisor on duty.
• Monitor and report issues regarding vehicles safety inventory including but not limited to fire extinguishers, first aid kits, spill kits, etc.
• Understand and follow all policies and procedures as outlined in Hagley Museum and Library Shuttle Driver Manual.
• Maintain a positive and professional approach during all shifts, including responses to special requests and changes to the daily shuttle schedule.
• Other duties as assigned by the Lead Shuttle Driver or Associate Director of Museum Administration.
• This is primarily a weekday position with occasional opportunities for additional shifts with a typical schedule of 16 hours per week and a maximum of 20 hours per week. Two-day weekday availability is required. Occasional weekend shifts may be required.
• Available for holiday shifts, including the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.
• May include occasional evening work and special events.
High School or GED equivalent. Valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL); 2-3 years’ experience driving commercial vehicles required, preferably on shuttles or other large vehicles including a minimum of one-year experience driving 15,000 to 20,000 lb. shuttle.
Hagley drivers need to have friendly dispositions and outgoing attitudes in this important guest-facing role. Must have some knowledge of shuttle operations and equipment. Physical capacity to operate shuttles safely. Ability to communicate with visitors and staff, and to follow written and oral instructions. Must be able to work weekdays and occasional weekends.
• $17.68 per hour