• A close camaraderie with fellow volunteers and staff
• Free admission to the museum for volunteers, their friends, and their families
• Discount at the Hagley Store and at the Belin House Organic Cafe
• Your own free admission to Hagley special events when you volunteer at them
• Volunteer Voice newsletter
• Volunteer educational sessions scheduled periodically
• Complimentary admission during April, volunteer appreciation month, to area museums and gardens
• Annual volunteer recognition event
• Deductions on your federal income tax if you itemize deductions (see your tax professional)
• Use of the Hagley Library and Archives
• Free admission to various lectures held at Hagley
• Opportunity to purchase Hagley membership at the reduced staff rate
• Opportunity to purchase four adult fireworks show tickets
Start your application here! Starting your application creates an account on MyVolunteerPage. Volunteers use this account to sign up for volunteer opportunities and log their hours. MyVolunteerPage offers training documents and video tutorials to help get you started.
Yes, all volunteers over the age of 18 will complete a background check through AmericanChecked and the state of Delaware. This happens after you have completed your volunteer interview.
Most opportunities either host training prior to the event or offer on the job training. For more specialized roles, like in the library or gardens, we look for prior knowledge or experience in those areas.
We welcome volunteers aged 11 and up! Parent supervision may be required at some opportunities. Contact the volunteer coordinator for more information.
Hagley has approximately 500 adults and teens who volunteer.
Volunteers graciously give about 16,000 hours annually
Volunteers can complete as many hours as they wish! This can include monthly opportunities, once a year special events, or something new each week! Some opportunities are on a set schedule and others are flexible with dates.
• Interact with visitors on Workers’ Hill and in the Powder Yard
• Assist at special events
• Teens participate in the Youth Leadership Program
• Make handwork items to sell at Hagley events to benefit the school scholarship fund
• Work in the Workers’ Garden and E.I. du Pont garden
• Help in the library, manuscripts and archives, objects collections and conservation
• Arrange flowers and create wreaths and greens for Christmas decorations
• Assist the museum exhibits department
• Complete office administration tasks throughout the organization
• And More!
Volunteers are encouraged to seek out opportunities they will enjoy! Volunteers can move from one area to another by working with the volunteer coordinator to learn about the latest volunteer needs.
Yes! Groups may contact the volunteer coordinator to discuss details.
Hagley reports hours to Volunteer Delaware 50+, a statewide program to engage persons 50 and older in volunteer service.
Students in grades 9-12 can earn one elective credit towards graduation after completing 90 volunteer hours over two semesters (does not have to be consecutive semesters). The hours must be completed outside of the student’s regularly scheduled school day. Check with your school to make sure they will accept this type of credit!
Most opportunities take place outdoors, so please dress comfortably for the weather that day. Closed toe shoes and Hagley nametag are required for all events.
Volunteers may indicate their interest in an event or activity by logging into www.myvolunteerpage.com and clicking on the opportunities tab. The volunteer coordinator or staff member will assign volunteers and confirm when those assignments have been made.