Hagley invites serious researchers to apply for one of our grants to defray the costs of an extended stay intended to use our collections. Grants and fellowships are administered by the Center for the History of Business, Technology and Society.
CLICK HERE TO SEE LATEST AWARDS
Types of Grants
Anyone may apply for Hagley's exploratory and Henry Belin du Pont research grants.
- Exploratory grants are limited to one week and are designed to give scholars the opportunity determine if a longer research visit is warranted.
- Henry Belin du Pont research grants may be up to eight weeks and are intended for more intensive use of the collections.
Researchers who first apply for an exploratory grant may ask for a longer research grant if our collections warrant more attention.
Advanced graduate students are eligible for our two dissertation fellowships:
- Henry Belin du Pont dissertation fellowship (four months)
- Louis Galambos National Fellowship in Business & Politics (nine months)
Scholars of any rank with a Ph.D. may also apply for an NEH-Hagley Fellowship.
Doing Research at Hagley
Grant and fellowship recipients have many ways to participate in the Hagley Center's scholarly community while pursuing their research. These opportunities include:
- getting feedback on their work in the Center's brown bag lunch series, where researchers and Hagley staff workshop drafts in progress
- sharing their projects on Stories from the Stacks, the Center’s researcher interview podcast
- writing a piece for Hagley's Collections and Research News
- interacting with other researchers in our on-site scholar’s housing
- attending Hagley Library events, including author talks and research seminars
Applying for Grants and Fellowships
All grants and fellowships applicants must explain:
- how their project will contribute new information to previous scholarship
- how Hagley’s research materials are pertinent to their project
Grant applicants are strongly advised to contact library staff in advance of submitting their application to help them determine if our collections support their projects.
Applicants are also encouraged to browse researchers' contributions to Collections and Research News and listen to episodes of Stories from the Stacks to learn more about how other scholars have used our collections.
Applications for exploratory and Henry Belin du Pont research grants are considered three times a year. The deadlines are:
- March 31
- June 30
- October 31
Applicants will receive a decision within 45 days after the deadline.
Applications for all other fellowships are considered once a year. The deadlines are:
- February 1 for the Louis Galambos National Fellowship in Business & Politics
- November 15 for the Henry Belin du Pont dissertation fellowship
- February 15 for the NEH-Hagley fellowship
For additional application information, consult the individual grants and fellowship pages. If you have any questions, please contact the Center at (302) 658-2400, ext. 244 or at email@example.com.