First-time Using Our Library
Welcome! First-time users must obtain a research card number in order to use the collections. Click here to apply for a Research Card. Please review our reading room policies below prior to your visit.
LIBRARY AND SODA HOUSE ENTRANCE - GPS: 298 Buck Road, Wilmington, DE 19807
Reading Room Policy
We ask all researchers to observe the following rules in our reading rooms:
1. Check our Safety Updates for current guidelines prior to your appointment.
2. Hands must be washed before handling collections materials.
3. Researchers must provide their research card number upon request.
4. Patrons involved in research for current or potential litigation must contact the library in advance to obtain permission to access. Attorneys, or persons acting at the direction or under the supervision of an attorney, are reminded that failing to disclose the nature of your research, misrepresenting yourself or your involvement in current or potential litigation, or conducting unauthorized research, is a violation of the American Bar Association's Model Rules of Professional Conduct, which apply in all states, including Delaware.
5. Food, drinks, briefcases, parcels, packages, and umbrellas may not be taken in the reading room and research areas. Lockers are provided.
6. Only pencils (wood or mechanical) may be used to take notes.
7. Researchers must not write upon, mark, lean on, or otherwise mishandle research materials. Careless handling of materials may result in revocation of your research card.
8. Post-it notes are harmful to books and manuscripts. The librarian will give you acid-free bookmarks upon request.
9. Users must preserve the existing order of all unbound materials. Please report any disarrangement and/or conservation problems to the staff.
10. Library materials may not be used outside the reading room without permission.
11. Phone calls are not permitted in the reading room.
12. Personal scanners, computers and digital cameras (without flash) may be used in the reading room.
13. Please inform the staff when you are finished with your materials. They may be placed on reserve for agreed-upon periods of time.
14. In the event that your research, based on material consulted here, is published, the Hagley Library would appreciate receiving a copy of the publication.