Arlington Cotton Mills

Also known as: Eagle Mills
Owner: Daniel LaMotte
Industry type: Textile mill
Location: Brandywine Village
Active dates: c. 1830-1860

Summary: The Arlington Cotton Mill was built in 1830 and occupied a block at the northern edge of Brandywine Village roughly bounded by Vandever Avenue, Market Street, and what is now Lamotte Street. It is not known exactly when LaMotte left the textile business, but the mill had several owners before being purchased by a stock company in 1880. It was then purchased by Melville Gambrill in 1886 and expanded.

Citations: Zebley, Frank R. Along the Brandywine. Wilmington: William Cann, Inc., 1940, 198.