Industry type: Textile mill, Metal works
Location: Augustine site
Active dates: c. 1820
Summary: During the 1820s, brothers Benjamin and Ziba Ferris operated a cotton mill and weaving factory, as well as a blacksmith shop, on the south bank of the Brandywine near the Augustine site. According to an 1832 business survey, the mill was located "between Benjamin Webb's (sic) unused bark mill and Isaac Jones' snuff mill." In 1825, the cotton mill contained 600 spindles as well as carding engines and other cotton processing equipment. The equipment was sold in 1826, and the mill was listed as abandoned by 1832.
Citations: Boatman, Roy. The Brandywine Cotton Industry, 1795-1865. Hagley Research Report, 1957.