Owner: William C. Hilles, Henry C. Jones, Allen Hilles
Industry type: Machine shop
Location: 11th Street Bridge
Active dates: c. 1870-1890
Summary: After Robert Barr retired from Robert H. Barr & Co., his business partner, William C. Hilles, formed a partnership with Henry Jones, a machinist who had a small shop in a stone building near Breck's Mill. William Hilles’s son, Allen Hilles, joined the company in 1884. In 1888, the Hilles & Jones site was described as “one hundred and fifty feet on Church Street, six hundred feet on Ninth Street, with a good wharf frontage of one hundred and eighty-five feet on the Brandywine River.”
Citations: Scharf, John Thomas. History of Delaware 1609-1888, Vol. 2. Philadelphia: L. J. Richards & Co., 1888.
Zebley, Frank R. Along the Brandywine. Wilmington: William Cann, Inc., 1940
Online Primary Sources/Images: Pomeroy and Beers, Atlas of the State of Delaware, 1868. Hagley Digital Archives.