Crossley & Barr

Also known as: Crossley & Allen
Owner: John Crossley, Samuel Davis, Robert Barr
Industry type: Machine shop
Location: 11th Street Bridge
Active dates: 1854-1863

Summary: John S. Crossley and Samuel Davis started a machine shop on the lower Brandywine near the 11th Street Bridge in 1854. Samuel Davis departed the company a few years later, and Robert Barr joined the company in his place. Barr took over the company in 1863, renaming it Robert H. Barr & Co.

Citations: Scharf, John Thomas. History of Delaware 1609-1888, Vol. 2. Philadelphia: L. J. Richards & Co., 1888.

Zebley, Frank R. Along the Brandywine. Wilmington: William Cann, Inc., 1940, 144.