Industry type: Machine shop, Barley mill, Flour mill
Location: Adams Street
Active dates: 1744-1780
Summary: George Fleming established a machine shop on the site in 1744. A few years later, he added a grist mill. Between 1765 and 1780, John Fleming also cleaned and processed barley on the site in the Stidham barley mill, known locally as "the old barley mill."
Citations: Federal Writers' Project. Delaware: A Guide to the First State. New York: Viking Press, 1938, 294.
Scharf, John Thomas. History of Delaware 1609-1888, Vol. 2. Philadelphia: L. J. Richards & Co., 1888.
Zebley, Frank R. Along the Brandywine. Wilmington: William Cann, Inc., 1940, 170.