Industry type: Textile mill
Location: Rockland on the East bank of the Brandywine
Active dates: 1850
Summary: After William Young's Rockland Manufacturing Company went bankrupt in 1848, James Goodman purchased the property. In the summer of 1850, he built a new weaving mill to replace the old Rockland weaving mill that had burned on October 2, 1849. The new two-story, 102' x 50' stone mill with a garret and basement cost of $3,500. Goodman may have briefly operated the mill himself, or he may have immediately sold or rented the property to Cyrus Hillborn.
Sources: Boatman, Roy. The Brandywine Cotton Industry, 1795-1865. Hagley Research Report, 1957.Hancock, Harold. Advertising Practices of Selected Wilmington and Brandywine Firms, 1800-1900. Hagley Research Report, 1962, 28.Hancock, Harold. The Industrial Worker Along the Brandywine. Hagley Research Report, 1956, 6.Haugan, Oyvind. The Rockland Paper Mills, 1795-1971. The Paper Industry Web.Scharf, John Thomas. History of Delaware 1609-1888, Vol. 2. Philadelphia: L. J. Richards & Co., 1888, 760-793. Zebley, Frank R. Along the Brandywine. Wilmington: William Cann, Inc., 1940.
Online images:"Rockland Mills, Wilmington, Del.," postcard, 1907, University of Delaware Digital Collections. "Rockland Paper Mills, on the Brandywine, Near Wilmington, Del.," postcard, 1910, University of Delaware Digital Collections."Rockland Paper Mills, on the Brandywine, Near Wilmington, Del.," postcard, 1913, University of Delaware Digital Collections.