Industry type: Paper mill
Location: Augustine site
Active dates: 1939-1984
Summary: The Container Corporation of America leased their 17.5-acre site, which had once belonged to paper company Jessup & Moore, from Delaware Paper Mills, Inc. beginning in 1939. The Container Corporation manufactured several kinds of paper products at the plant. An adjacent abandoned quarry, most likely the former site of the Brandywine Granite Company, was used as a landfill. In 1984, the site was sold to the Augustine Mill Associates and subsequently developed into the Brandywine Park Condominium complex.
Citations: Container Corporation Site: Proposed Plan of Remedial Action. Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, 1998.