Owner: John H. Price, S. Hollingsworth, John Morton
Industry type: Flour mill
Location: Brandywine Village
Active dates: c. 1865-1880
Summary: The John H. Price Mill, owned by the son of Brandywine miller James E. Price, was located on the former site of one or more of William Poole's mills at Brandywine Village. Most likely the fourth mill down from the Brandywine Bridge on the south side of the Brandywine, the mill already existed during the Civil War and eventually burned on January 6, 1880. At the time of the fire, the mill was being managed by W.G. Pennypacker. In the late nineteenth century, the site was eventually purchased by the city of Wilmington and became a part of the site of the city's water supply system.
Citations: Zebley, Frank R. Along the Brandywine. Wilmington: William Cann, Inc., 1940, 179-180.
Online Primary Sources/Images:Pomeroy and Beers, Atlas of the State of Delaware, 1868. Hagley Digital Archives.